[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: A case for 'run once' recipes

  • From: Caleb Tennis < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: A case for 'run once' recipes
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:05:16 -0400

Arjuna made an example in the wiki, http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Libraries, for an ISP scenario, that I still have to test. With my limited knowledge of chef at this stage it seems that it would rebuild everything on every run for every user. I will probably stand corrected here.

I think you just need to spend more time with it - it'll do exactly what you're looking for, and if you need something that's edge-case, you can coerce it to do that too.

In this case, it doesn't rebuild everything on every run for every user.  It just ensures that what's there is as you've specified.  If it hasn't changed, it won't touch it.

I think you'll find it'll do exactly what you need.

Caleb