[chef] Re: Re: renaming a node

  • From: John Merrells < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: renaming a node
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 10:42:17 -0700

On Apr 2, 2010, at 10:27 AM, Michael Hale wrote:

It sounds like you are talking about changing the hostname on the
nodes? Here is how I do that:
http://github.com/mikehale/cookbooks/blob/master/hostname/recipes/default.rb

Thanks - that's partly it.

But is there a way to rename the node object that lives within the chef sever?

I was expecting to find this....

knife node rename node_before node_after

But it seems that I'd have to get, create, delete to simulate a rename, having
copied the run_list over.

The other thing I don't grok yet is the relationship between the client name,
the node name, and the hostname. When chef client registers itself it creates
a client and a node with the hostname for their name and creates a certificate
for the client.... but.... if i change the hostname of the machine is it going to
break the authentication of the client using the client certificate? Hmm...
thinking out load really.

John

--
John Merrells