[chef] recipes that alter PATH

  • From: Christopher Bottaro < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] recipes that alter PATH
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:35:17 -0500

Hello,

I have a recipe that installs rvm and Ruby Enterprise Edition via rvm.  Once that recipe runs, I have subsequent recipes that run and install gems.  The problem is that they install the gems in system Ruby.

For rvm to work, I need to source a shell script (which I do in /etc/profile.d/rvm.sh).  The problem is that subsequent calls to Chef resources like "execute", "gem_package" or "script" don't run /etc/profile.d/rvm.sh before executing.  How can I remedy that?

Thanks for the help.