[chef] Trigger an ohai update within a recipe?

  • From: "Leinartas, Michael" < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Trigger an ohai update within a recipe?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:34:26 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Title: Trigger an ohai update within a recipe?
I'm running into a problem with a recipe. This seems like a common case so I'm hoping there's a simple solution.

I have a recipe that configures a daemon (maradns fwiw) which drops root privileges to a uid/gid configured in the daemon's config file which is generated by a template.  The recipe first runs the User resource to create the user if necessary.

So the problem is, in the template I refer to node[:etc][:passwd][:maradns][:uid] and node[:etc][:group][:maradns][:gid] but at that point ohai hasn't picked up those values and cached them so the template generation fails.  On a subsequent run, the template is generated successfully.

So is there some way for me to trigger an update of ohai within the recipe? If not, I'll file a bug for a feature request as, again, this seems like a relatively common case.