[chef] managing chef server/webui/couchdb with chef?

  • From: Jim Hopp < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] managing chef server/webui/couchdb with chef?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:49:12 -0700

Hi folks-

We're curious about how people are managing the chef server components (Chef Server API/webui, CouchDB, Solr Indexer, rabbitMQ, etc) and the machine all this is running on.

First, the machine: it seems feasible to assign a role to the node running the server, and to use that role to manage the prosaic stuff: packages, iptables, ntp, accounts, etc; all the stuff we're managing on the all the other nodes. Are there any gotcha's to just running chef-client on the chef server node?

Second, the chef server components: this seems much more complicated. Do people try to manage updates to the chef server components with chef itself, or do you simply use chef-solo to do the initial install and then manage updates by hand?

-Jim