[chef] Re: Re: Re: Embedded Chef

  • From: AJ Christensen < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Embedded Chef
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:36:02 -0700

Yo,

On 26 October 2010 13:12, Jonathan Weiss < "> > wrote:
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM, AJ Christensen < "> > wrote:
> What does this buy you over using Chef (at least Chef Solo)? directly?

I was thinking about writing a small agent for mcollective that would
allow me to query packages and services, much like those puppet
agents:

I've seen this done in the past. The provider/resource code for Chef is definitely reusable enough. I'm not familiar enough with the way Recipes are converted into Resources/Providers, these days, to be able to point you in the right direction.

You might look at RightScale's RightLink (amqp+chef) or Opscode's opscode-agent (WIP, nanite+chef).

Maybe someone else will chime in: otherwise try #chef-hacking on irc.freenode.net

Regards,

AJ

http://code.google.com/p/mcollective-plugins/wiki/AgentService
http://code.google.com/p/mcollective-plugins/wiki/AgentPackage

I want to be able to know if a certain service is running or if a
certain package is installed. Running Chef-Solo just for this taks
seems like a  big overhead and I would have to parse the output as I
want to return the status to the requesting mcollective client.