[chef] Re: Re: Chef stability?

  • From: Paul Paradise < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Chef stability?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:13:18 -0800

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Adam Jacob < "> > wrote:
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM,  < "> > wrote:
> Running chef-client by hand on a machine causes a different result than letting
> the timer driven version work. Like it forces the client to reevaluate all the
> data bags and search results and actually apply them.

In what way?  The code paths here are identical for the most part.  If
you're using data bags and search in the recipes, and you are seeing
failures of Solr, I would wager that these differences are actually
just a representation of the search service not being stable for you.

This is almost undoubtedly unrelated to Allan's issues, but one repro-able example where chef runs differ when running in a daemon vs. single-shot is if your cookbook is complex and starts touching objects that outlive the lifespan of a single chef run - http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/COOK-397 for example.

-Paul