[chef] 500 Server error

  • From: Tristan Sloughter < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] 500 Server error
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:54:24 -0600

I was having a problem where I had updated a template file (I verified through the web interface that the template file was updated) but when the client was run on a client it would not get the new version. Trying to force it to I ended up delete /var/cache/chef/checksums/ on the server... This seems to have been very bad.

When I realized this had borked the cookbook I did a bulk delete and purge of that cookbook. I then ran the upload command on it again. This doesn't seem to really be doing anything. It doesn't output checksums of all files that its uploading like usual, it just displays the messages of the steps and acts like it ran fine. I delete the checksums in ~/.chef/checksums just in case but still nothing.

So now when I run the client on a node with -l debug I get lots of:

[Wed, 05 Jan 2011 11:44:53 -0600] DEBUG: /cookbooks/ecdmarket/0.0.1/files/40e78bbf6e012c82eaefebd7292faeb3 (zero content length or no Content-Length header)

And then a 500 error.

Which I assume is due to the upload not working correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Tristan