[chef] Re: Re: Chef managing a Eucalyptus cloud

  • From: Seth Chisamore < >
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Chef managing a Eucalyptus cloud
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:45:12 -0500

Eucalyptus's API is compatible with EC2's API, which means (in theory) any client tool that works with EC2 should work. Fog does already allow you to set an API endpoint on the Fog::AWS::Compute class[0].

It would really just be a matter of patching the Knife "ec2 server *" subcommands to support setting this value (via Chef::Config[:knife]).  It might be easier to  create a Knife script that leverages Fog to provision the instances and then let Knife take over for bootstrapping.  Joshua Timberman has an example of doing just this...I'll ask him (he also see this email) to update the Chef wiki page[1] that discusses "knife exec" and Knife scripts.

Seth

--
Opscode, Inc.
Seth Chisamore, Technical Evangelist