[chef] Re: Branches as an alternative to environments?

  • From: Charles Duffy < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Michael Hale < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Branches as an alternative to environments?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:39:01 -0600

This is what I do myself; since I have separate chef servers for development, staging and deployment, it works great for me.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Michael Hale < "> > wrote:
Has anyone thought about using git branches as an alternative to environments?

* Branches already provide a nice mechanism for associating a
particular set of cookbook/role/data_bag versions together as a named
thing.
* git push chef-server master (ala heroku deploy) besides being really
cool, could be really fast as well.
* Using a branch keeps me from having to maintain cookbook version
numbers manually.

Thoughts?