[chef] Re: Using chef for our own applications/services' configuration?

  • From: Denis Haskin < >
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Using chef for our own applications/services' configuration?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:27:54 -0500

Thanks; I'll look at those in a little more detail.  I thought that was the right thing to look at but wasn't sure.

dwh

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM, John E. Vincent (lusis) <lusis.org+ "> > wrote:
Denis,

Take a look at the "application" cookbooks folder on github* for an
idea of managing in-house application configurations. We're using chef
to manage things like log4j.xml files, spring properties files and
other things. The benefit you get from using the same tool to manage
your application configuration that you use for system configuration
is that your application configurations are now infrastructure aware.

Take database servers:
If you have a node in Chef tagged as your master db server, you can
now refer to that information in your application configuration. If
the role of db master moves to another box, your application
configuration will be updated on next run.

* https://github.com/opscode/cookbooks/tree/master/application