[chef] Re: Amazon CloudFormation

  • From: Denis Haskin < >
  • To: Stephen Nelson-Smith < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Amazon CloudFormation
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:09:03 -0500

That was my sense, and that CF and Chef might be really powerful together... looking forward to the blog posts ;-)

dwh

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Stephen Nelson-Smith < "> > wrote:
On 25 February 2011 13:53, Denis Haskin < "> > wrote:
> I know it's only just announced, but I'd be interested in the chef
> community's perspective on AWS's CloudFormation
> - http://aws.amazon.com/cloudformation/ .

Short version:

Go and read the documentation.  Anyone who says this is something that
'replaces' Chef is misunderstanding.  This is a tool to launch a suite
of images.  You still want to integrate, orchestrate and otherwise
impose configuration standards on them.

As far as I'm concerned, it's great - I look forward to playing with
it, and integrating with it.  The interesting thing will be to
understand exactly what place the 'templates' have in the grander
scheme of things.

Long version:

I shall blog about this shortly.... watch this space.

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith,
Principal Consultant,

Atalanta Systems: The Agile Infrastructure Enablers
http://atalanta-systems.com