[chef] Re: Any alternative response_file for CentOS?

  • From: ryan T < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Any alternative response_file for CentOS?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:14:32 +0700

Hi John,

Thanks for your help.

For use of execute resource https://gist.github.com/865637, I'm still confused how oracle_response_file
answers Oracle installation/configuration questions such as listener port, system password,...

Could you please give some more details?

Thanks,

Ryan

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM, John E. Vincent (lusis) <lusis.org+ "> > wrote:
I think you might be confusing the response_file for Oracle with the
dpkg support for response file. It's been a while since I've done an
"automated" Oracle install but you'll probably want to use the execute
resource.

Essentially it would be something like this gist:

https://gist.github.com/865637

Note that the idempotence checks (not_if/only_if) are somewhat
limited. You'll probably want to create an LWRP in the end unless you
can wrap up the determination of a valid oracle install into a single
statement. For example, here's how we handle creating mysql accounts
for our users:

https://gist.github.com/865645

You can see the hoops I'm jumping through in the 'not_if' statement to
avoid rerunning the work. I really should create a mysql permissions
LWRP.

Hope that helps!

John E. Vincent
http://about.me/lusis