[chef] Re: Re: Chef 0.9.14.beta.1

  • From: Rob Guttman < >
  • To: Bryan McLellan < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Chef 0.9.14.beta.1
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:41:43 -0400

Thanks for this, Bryan - this visibility helps our planning.  Is there an ETA yet for the chef 0.10 beta release?

Thanks.
- Rob

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Bryan McLellan < "> > wrote:
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Rob Guttman < "> > wrote:
> Any update on chef 0.10 beta release?  Looking forward to help test it.

Yup. Environments is game-changing and we're really proud of. I've
never used anything like it, so it is exciting, but also a lot of work
to figure out the workflow and features to go along with it.

A key part of the environments support is being able to specify
different cookbooks for different environments. Given an application
cookbook 'secret_sauce' you may want version ~> 1.0.0 for the
production environment and preproduction, but version > 1 for qa and
dev environments. You can read more about version constraints on our
wiki [1] and learn about ~> if you're not familiar with it. Since
we've also recently started enforcing constraints in cookbook metadata
as well, this lead us down the road of writing a dependency solver.
This is finished and will be merged into the master branch by the end
of next week. Thus, the chef server for 0.10 will require the gecode
library [2], which isn't packaged for every distribution, so we're
looking around for help on that.

I don't know of any other major blocking work. I expect we'll do the
0.10 beta release in the next sprint which begins on the 28th. As far
as releases go, we're working on the feedback from the 0.9.14.beta.1
release and getting ready to ship a release candidate for 0.9.14 in
the next week or two. Expect an ohai release in the next few weeks as
well.

We're trying to work out something official about release schedules
moving forward. I'm personally advocating for and working on bringing
more regularity to releases. This is leading to there being continuing
stable releases on 0.9 for a while after 0.10.0 ships, so you can
track the 0.9-stable branch for work on that. Also remember that our
repositories are public [3], so you can keep and eye on the 0.10 work
and try it out at any time via the master branch. Anyone taking the
time to do that and comment about it on the chef-def list is
incredibly awesome.

Bryan McLellan

[1] http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Cookbook+Version+Constraints
[2] http://www.gecode.org/