[chef] Re: Re: Re: Application cookbook

  • From: Haselwanter Edmund < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Application cookbook
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:26:38 +0200

On 29.06.2011, at 16:41, Tim Diggins wrote:

edi -

My main query is about whether one should have an "application" cookbook at all, rather than having a "django", "rails", "tomcat" cookbook, and then creating a specific cookbook/recipe for one's own application itself (e.g. my-django-app), which co-ordinates the other cookbook recipes (say python, django-specifics, nginx&gevent coordination, etc)

Seth posted a nice answer to that. I too think that a more abstract data-driven concept is very powerful.

And somewhere in the mailing list archive is a thread about creating a kind of manifest for this data driven concept, but I can't find it ...

also - (slightly off topic) but instead of your vagrant/solo-specific version:
app = JSON.parse(File.open(File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__),"../databags/jolokia.json")).read)
you might want to instead consider monkey-patching the data_bag, data_bag_item and search methods (I had a stab at this before... see gist and fuller config/background at http://red56.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/chef-and-vagrant-workflow/ trying to make recipes sharable across vagrant + chef-solo, and chef-server/platform)

Oh, I do use that :-) This is just an easy way to move that specific "app" out of the application deployment into the zabbix recipe but still using the same data-driven description ;-)

cu edi