[chef] Re: Re: Re: Chef on Amazon EC2 with auto-scaling

  • From: Bryan McLellan < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Chef on Amazon EC2 with auto-scaling
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 05:16:53 -0700

On Jul 18, 2011 6:32 AM, "Oliver Beattie" < "> > wrote:
> * As I originally mentioned, what is the procedure for managing these servers? Would I just be able to run commands via knife to all my servers? How does it keep track of nodes joining (or more importantly leaving) my "cluster"?

Knife uses the Chef server API to talk to the server. Since all nodes register with the server (both a node object for the data and a client object for authentication) knife node list produces a list of all nodes registered with the server. Knife doesn't know about nodes itself. When you use knife to create a new system, via ec2 server create or bootstrap, the node still registers itself with the chef server, not knife.

> * Another (somewhat unrelated question) I had is how does Chef manage OS upgrades? Does it manage them at all? For instance, how would I say "go run aptitude upgrade on all my production servers"?

knife ssh name:* "sudo aptitude upgrade -y"

Or you can create a cookbook to do this if you trust upstream to produce non-breaking changes.

Chef itself doesn't manage OS upgrades, but it certainly can.Remember that Chef is a tool designed to help you automate your systems. A hammer doesn't pound nails alone.

Bryan