[chef] Bootstrapping a Chef Node using a Java

  • From: Daniel Cukier < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Bootstrapping a Chef Node using a Java
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 19:38:10 -0300

Hi everybody,

I'm developing a web service in Java on a system that needs to provision, create, remove nodes.

I have this restriction that the web service must be developed in Java. This web service must:

 1 - create nodes on different Cloud environments (EC2, rackspace, openstack, etc)
 2 - Bootstrap these nodes with chef and one or 2 roles

How do you suggest creating this web service? I thought about doing system calls to knife, but I don't think this is a good idea. Is there any Java specific library that is similar to knife, a library that I can provision cloud nodes (like knife ec2) and bootstrap chef (life knife bootstrap)?

Thank you very much for the help

Daniel Cukier