[chef] Knife

  • From: Brian Jakovich < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Knife
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 20:15:37 -0400

I setup a chef server on my Centos 5.4 instance. Chef installed correctly and the web ui was up and running. I then created a user called knife and in the home directory of the knife user I created and in the home directory I made a .chef/ directory. I then did

knife configure -i

Entered in the information:

Please enter the chef server URL: [localhost:4000]
Please enter a clientname for the new client: [root] knife
Please enter the existing admin clientname: [chef-webui]
Please enter the location of the existing admin client's private key: [/etc/chef/webui.pem] .chef/webui.pem
Please enter the validation clientname: [chef-validator]
Please enter the location of the validation key: [/etc/chef/validation.pem] .chef/validation.pem
Please enter the path to a chef repository (or leave blank): [route to my svn repository]
Creating initial API user...

I then ran

$ knife client list

ERROR: Chef::Exceptions::InvalidPrivateKey: The file /home/knife/.chef/knife.pem does not contain a correctly formatted private key.
The key file should begin with '-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----' and end with '-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----'

I don't host my svn repo on Github so I don't have a RSA private key....

Any help would be appreciated