[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting the ipaddress of a specific interface

  • From: Haim Ashkenazi < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting the ipaddress of a specific interface
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:08:00 +0300

Hi

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Tom Thomas < "> > wrote:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Haim Ashkenazi < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi Bryan,

I must say, I actually don't have a preference regarding the options above, but I think that looking for a solution took way too long. The solution should either be clear when you look at the json provided by ohai (like option 2 or the solution provided by the ohai plugin from the gist) or it should be easily found in the wiki.

It just took me by surprise because I thought that a thing like this should have a big demand and this would cause it to be solved in either way :)

Thnaks

--
Haim

The previously referenced Ohai plug-in which has been listed on "Community Plugins" for some time now...

network_addr.rb
extends network attribute with additional ipaddrtype_iface attributes to make semantically easier to retrieve the addresses. e.g., node['network']['ipaddress_eth0'] vs node['network']['interfaces']['eth0']['addresses'].guesswhichisfirst.

Beyond that, I've now added the detail from this interaction to the "Search" page on the Wiki as well - for those instances where it arises in the future.  Hopefully between the two, the solution can be "easily" found, pending a determination on how to best address OHAI-88.
Great. Now when I search the wiki for ipaddress it actually comes as one of the first results :). Previously if you didn't know you have to search for ohai plugin (like me) you didn't know where to look for it.

Haim