[chef] Scoping data bag items to environments

  • From: Charles Duffy < >
  • To: chef-users < >
  • Subject: [chef] Scoping data bag items to environments
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:46:06 -0500

Howdy --

Is there any support, either in code or by convention, for scoping data bag items to environments?

Presuming that no explicit support exists (which is my current working understanding), I've been thinking about appending the current environment to the bag name for any data bags which are environment-specific. This would seem like an advantage over putting the target environment in the bag item name or in the JSON object's contents, by preventing the need for Chef code to consider and explicitly exclude items not local to the active environment.

Have others given thought to this subject?

Thanks!