[chef] Re: Re: Concurrency node creation issue

  • From: "John E. Vincent (lusis)" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Concurrency node creation issue
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 23:33:19 -0400

I suppose I should record that screencast based on the demo I did in Mt. View eh?

Since Josh and Andrew mentioned it, this is one of the primary use cases for something like Noah (or even Zookeeper proper).

The way it works in the Noah LWRP is that you define blocking in the recipes where appropriate.

So in the demo I used the django quickstart and defined dependencies as 'noah_block' resources. Haproxy nodes blocked for django servers. Django servers blocked waiting on MySQL nodes to come up. The secondary django node blocked on the primary until it ran the initial database setup.

At the end of each node's run, it registered itself with Noah which is what each dependency was waiting for.

I need to move that dependency map into a databag but it does work.

I'll hopefully have the screencast recorded this week since I need it for something else as well.

There's also no reason that you couldn't simply use a custom LWRP that blocked until something came back from search results.