[chef] Databags vs Attributes

  • From: Geoff Meakin Acid < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Databags vs Attributes
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:37:57 +0100

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused as to when I should be using databags and when I should be using attributes, as both provide data to chef server and chef clients.

I like attributes, because defaults can be defined in recipes, which get uploaded with a rake install or a knife cookbook upload
I like databags, because I can define them outside a cookbook, so it is easier to have vanilla cookbooks without changing them

But I dont really understand the real reasons as to where I should use one and not the other.. Can anybody explain?

Thanks
--

Geoff