[chef] rhel installation problems for chef-server

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] rhel installation problems for chef-server
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 11:32:45 +0200

After installing chef on centos over the weekend, I thought installation on rhel 5.7 would be a breeze

Ohai reports the platform as "redhatenterprisesever" , this breaks the bootstrap installer
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2662

I got around it by hacking lib/chef/platform.rb and adding "redhatenterpriseserver" to all the recipes. very ugly and I don't want to do this on my rhel clients, which happen to be 99% of my servers.

chef executables are in /usr/sbin/ but all init scripts point to /usr/bin  this may be the fault of how I installed rubygems rather than the boostrap installer

finally, there is an issue w/ the latest version of coderay that keeps chef-server-webui from starting

gem install coderay --version '< 1.0.0'

I will try to get around to logging tickets for the last two issues

  • [chef] rhel installation problems for chef-server, Bryan Berry, 10/04/2011