[chef] remote directory creation question

  • From: Maven User < >
  • To: chef < >
  • Subject: [chef] remote directory creation question
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:16:06 -0400

I have a quick question about directories/remote directory syntax.

If I have a set of directories I'd like to create, BUT on the system, they may be filled with things, I'd like to back them up prior to creating the new, empty ones.

I see that remote_directory offers this backup feature and I like being able to sketch out my folder structure in files/default/foo/bar.

When I do this though:

    remote_directory "C:/foo/bar" do
      source "foo/bar"
      files_backup 10
    end

and the directory within the cookbook files/default/foo/bar is empty, nothing is created.

Do I _have_ to have files in there in order for the directories to be created?