[chef] Re: Re: ohai's virtualization attribute

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: ohai's virtualization attribute
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 07:22:06 +0200

Bryan, tks for your quick reply

on my vmware guest, dmidecode was not installed. Once installed, virtualization shows the correct values

However, my virtualbox instance of RHEL 5.7 does have dmidecode installed but the virtualization object is empty. I am running virtualbox 4.1

here is the dmidecode output for that vm
http://pastie.org/2687050

also, i will add dmidecode to the install docs for rhel/centos

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Bryan McLellan < "> > wrote:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Bryan Berry < "> > wrote:
> What is ohai's virtualization attribute supposed to report?

If we're on a virtualization host or guest.

> Do the paravirtualization drivers entirely hide that the machine is running
> as a guest?

It would appear so?

We detect a VMware guest from the output of 'dmidecode'. Is this
installed? Can you provide the output of 'sudo dmidecode' in a gist or
pastie?

Bryan