[chef] Re: Re: Re: Email notification upon success or failure (with logs)

  • From: Maven User < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Email notification upon success or failure (with logs)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:12:44 -0400

Hmmm - I don't see anything in the chef-client cookbook about handlers:

https://github.com/opscode/cookbooks/tree/master/chef-client/recipes

So if I pull down the chef_handler cookbook and add a new handler - don't I just depend on that in my recipe?

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Andrea Campi < "> > wrote:

On Oct 25, 2011, at 5:44 PM, Daniel DeLeo < "> > wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 25, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Maven User wrote:
>> Looking over various available cookbooks, searching through the wiki and then good 'ol google - I didn't find a way to incorporate a mailing notification that didn't require additional software to be installed on the client manually.
>>
>> What is the typical approach for sending email notification when a chef-client run is complete?
>>
>> Are handlers really the only way?
> Yes, handlers are the only way at present. Server side notifications may be added in a future release of Chef, but there's nothing set in stone at the moment.

That said, it needn't be manual; look at the handlers recipe in the chef-client cookbook.