[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Windows documentation is broken

  • From: Maven User < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Windows documentation is broken
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:51:51 -0400

There are issues here as well:

http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Knife

You can't search for "nodes".

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Jessica Bourne < "> > wrote:
Hi Maven,

I'm sorry the documentation wasn't more helpful, please let us know if there is anything we could improve about it to make it clearer. First, we recommend creating an admin key by following the steps in the Chef Server guide: http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Installing+Chef+Server+Manually#InstallingChefServerManually-CreateaKnifeClientforYourLaptop%252FDesktop

This will walk you through running the command 'knife client create'. For example entering 'knife client create maven -n -a -f /tmp/maven.pem' on the Chef Server will create the admin key at /tmp/maven.pem. You'll then want to copy this key and the validation.pem over to the workstation you are configuring in the C:\chef\.chef directory.

This will have you run the 'knife configure' command to create the knife.rb. You will need to enter data here that is specific to your setup, as the defaults will not work. We updated the wiki page to include an example with some defaults that you might find helpful.

Thanks,
Jessica