[chef] Re: Problem installing chef server on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

  • From: Sam Hamilton < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Problem installing chef server on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 13:42:16 +0800

Many thanks for all the replies - I will go do some more testing and find out what works.

Cheers
Sam

On 15 Nov 2011, at 11:20, Jessica Bourne wrote:

Hi Sam,

Not sure if this will be helpful at this point, but I ran into this same error while testing in Ubuntu 10.04. It was an issue with rabbitmq, but perhaps some extra information will be helpful. In my case, this was specific to an issue with the hostname most likely related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rabbitmq-server/+bug/653405

The hostname was not resolving, for instance using the command "ping $HOSTNAME" would respond with unknown host. If you notice that you're having these same symptoms, you can resolve it by editing /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts so the current hostname in /etc/hostname points to 127.0.1.1 or 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts, and then rebooting. After that is done you can run these commands to get chef-server re-installed correctly:

sudo apt-get remove rabbitmq-server chef chef-server

sudo rm -R /var/lib/rabbitmq

sudo apt-get install chef chef-server

Hope that helps!

Jessica

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Bryan McLellan < "> > wrote:
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Daniel DeLeo < "> > wrote:
>> I'm not sure how/why it wasn't created and I was able to briefly speak to ssd7 on the irc chan, but he needed to step away.
> FYI, Chef Server will create these files on startup. From the other information you provided, it seems likely that Chef Server errored out on submitting the client info to RabbitMQ. Getting RabbitMQ working and then restarting chef-server would fix this problem.

Right. When installing from debian packages, debian would not have
started the chef-server because the script that does so runs after
rabbitmq is started, which didn't start either.

Bryan