[chef] jpackage repository appears to be unmaintained, perhaps should be removed

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] jpackage repository appears to be unmaintained, perhaps should be removed
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:06:42 +0100

As best I can tell, the jpackage repository hasn't received any updated packages since October 2009. For that reason, I recommend it be removed from opscode cookbooks. Please correct me if I am mistaken about the status of the jpackage repository.

There are versions of tomcat and ant available in the main centos and rhel repositories. Unfortunately, there do not appear to be rpms available for maven or jetty.

I think the best strategy would be to remove the jpackage cookbook and refactor the jetty and maven cookbooks so they download the binaries directly from the project website,

I have already done this w/ my installer for maven
https://github.com/bryanwb/chef-maven-bin

  • [chef] jpackage repository appears to be unmaintained, perhaps should be removed, Bryan Berry, 11/30/2011