[chef] anyone interested in a "hardware" cookbook?

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] anyone interested in a "hardware" cookbook?
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 09:04:18 +0100

AtomicPenguin (Eric Wolfe) has put a good bit of work into the yumrepo recipes like vmware-tools and dell which detect and installs virtualization and management tools specific to those hardware or virtualization platforms.

I would want the similar functionality for a VM running in VMware Fusion, virtualbox, Xen, etc where adding the "recipe[hardware]" adds the paravirtualization tools specific to that platform.

For machine running on actual bare metal, I want "recipe[hardware]" to detect and install the hardware management tools, be they Dell, HP, IBM, etc.

recipes

default -- detect current hardware or virt platform and install related tools
vmware-tools - install the paravirtualization tools for vmware
virtualbox - see vmware-tools
hp  - install hp-health tools for bare metal machine
dell - install dell openmanage
ibm - ....

anyone else interested in such a cookbook? I would only do the subset that relates to the platforms i use.

By the way, credit for this idea belongs to jpalmer who is creating something like this for puppet

  • [chef] anyone interested in a "hardware" cookbook?, Bryan Berry, 11/30/2011