[chef] Re: anyone interested in a "hardware" cookbook?

  • From: "Eric G. Wolfe" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: anyone interested in a "hardware" cookbook?
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 17:02:19 -0500

On 12/02/2011 12:14 PM, Tensibai wrote:
" type="cite">

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 11:45:50 -0500, "Eric G. Wolfe" ">< > wrote:

I am taking a guess that your vmware admin doesn't like the "unmanaged" semantic that ESX reports when using the packages from VMWare's own repository.  All that really means is vmware-tools is not managed by ESX, the goal here is to manage that component with Chef.  I would like to see the Windows piece be automated for this space as well, since VMWare has the Windows packages out there in their public repository.

Well, having tools unmanaged block the update from Virtual hardware 4 to 7, in this case you have to uninstall the repo tools and isntall manually before upgrading.

I also saw problems with tools being updated before the esx has been patched, causing latency into guest and even freeze.

So I also prefer to stick on the local package usually instead of using repo.

Interesting problem.  We haven't made the jump yet to ESX 5, which will have the same problem of upgrading from Virtual hardware version 7 to 8.  From the node's perspective there isn't really any way to detect the VMWare host version within the VM guest and make an intelligent decision in the recipe, is there?

I'd like to see the recipes others have come up with for vmware-tools.  Here is what I have: https://github.com/atomic-penguin/cookbooks/blob/yumrepo/yumrepo/attributes/vmware-tools.rb, https://github.com/atomic-penguin/cookbooks/blob/yumrepo/yumrepo/recipes/vmware-tools.rb