[chef] Role Attributes not working in shef?

  • From: Chaim Keren-Tzion < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Role Attributes not working in shef?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 19:22:06 +0200

I have the following code in a role which I have verified is loaded:

default_attributes(
 :syslogserver => {
  :hostname => "sysloger01",
  :ip => [
    "10.4.0.5",
    "10.16.0.70"
    ]
},
 :oldvservers => "32"
)

However...
When I enter the shef shell with: 'shef -z -c /etc/chef/shef.rb' even though it shows that the role is loaded and even if I do:

chef > roles.show("mainrole")

=> role[mainrole]

I still only get results like these:

chef > node[:syslogserver]

 => nil

chef > node[:syslogserver][:ip]

NoMethodError: undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

chef > node[:oldvservers]

 => nil

chef > node["oldvservers"]

 => nil

Any idea how I can get the attributes populated in shef? or is there another way I can test them?

TAI,
Chaim

  • [chef] Role Attributes not working in shef?, Chaim Keren-Tzion, 12/11/2011