[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: RabbitMQ and Logstash

  • From: Harlan Barnes < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: RabbitMQ and Logstash
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:35:31 -0500

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Kevin Nuckolls < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
i used that one some while ago, but i'm not sure right now if it was my last choice.

i think used Joshuas recipe, but i just used it for the client provisioning.

I just went through this same investigation. I ended up with recipes for rabbitmq, elasticsearch and logstash (with grok) and then apache to terminate SSL and proxy requests to the logstash web interface. My goal was to have a an N node cluster of the above application stack consuming logs from various sources.

Most of the Cookbooks I used were the Opscode supported ones. I added some things I wanted (more for trying my hand and writing / understanding chef). For example, I added auto-clustering and ssl support for rabbitmq and a RedHat/Centos-friendly init for elasticsearch. I modified Joshua's logstash one to have RedHat/Centos friendly init and made attributes for the directories and such. I've passed most of it back as pull requests, but frankly, I'm new to Chef. So there's no telling if I did it right.

I've experienced most of the pain recently so it's fresh in my mind if you want to ping me to share ideas, I'd be happy to chat. I'm interested in seeing if my conclusions about things are in the ballpark.