[chef] Re: Re: should I be using chef?

  • From: Kelly Goedert < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: should I be using chef?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 16:41:45 -0200

Thank you... helped me a lot

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Daniel DeLeo < "> > wrote:

On Monday, December 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Kelly Goedert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've read a bit about chef and I tried the tutorials in http://devops.mashion.net/. after following the installation instructions on the site. I was able to follow it and see chef in action which is great. After this, I can see an usage on managing server configs, which I want to do on a future. For now, I was wondering if I could use chef to "manage" developers environment like, installing and configuring eclipse, cvs, java and whatever a developer might need to work.
>
> I know this is possible with chef for what I have seen. But is this usual? Or I am trying to use the tool for something it is not really made for?
The overwhelming majority of Chef users are using Chef to manage servers, but it also works quite well for developer setup. At Opscode we use Chef to manage our developer workstations, and this has dramatically reduced the amount of setup time required for a new developer to get a test environment running. Pivotal Labs also uses Chef to manage workstations[1].

To my knowledge, most people managing workstations are using chef-solo, with developers updating the recipes at their leisure. This implies that your developers would get comfortable with basic Chef usage, but if workstation setup is a one-shot deal this isn't strictly required.

> Thanks
>
> Kelly

1. http://pivotallabs.com/users/cunnie/blog/articles/1872-got-lion-now-get-everything-else-

HTH,