[chef] knife bootstrap using Chef-Solo?

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] knife bootstrap using Chef-Solo?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 08:52:58 +0100

Ohai guys!

Is there an example of knife-bootstrapping a chef node without having a chef server?

I was thinking of something like 'knife bootstrap IP_ADDRESS -x user -P pass --sudo -r "role[myrole]" --repo-tar "/path/to/tarballed/chef-repo.tgz"' which would then upload the .tgz and use chef-solo to bootstrap the node without a chef server required.

From looking at the wiki, knife bootstrap doesn't support this. Is there another easy way to achieve the same thing?

Sure this would be limited as you could not do searches and data bags. I am looking for a solution to set up VMs using Chef recipes if you don't have a Chef Server available.

Cheers,
Torben