[chef] Re: site installing tomcat cookbook git deleted files from my java cookbook

  • From: Andrea Campi < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: site installing tomcat cookbook git deleted files from my java cookbook
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:38:15 +0100

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 4:08 AM, < "> > wrote:

hi. is this expected? maybe it's something i don't understand about git
and git branching and community cookbooks.

long ago i had done "knife cookbook site install java", and committed
that cookbook to my own git repo. over time, i modifed that java
cookbook (added some templates, modifed the default recipe).

just now i did a "knife cookbook site install tomcat", and doing so
whacked my mods to the java cookbook.

Uhm, I see this though:

Creating pristine copy branch chef-vendor-java

So it seems knife disagrees, and couldn't find your previous site-install of the java cookbook.
Otherwise it would have merged them instead of overwriting them.
Double check your history—computers are usually more correct about this kind of stuff than human memory ;)

Andrea