[chef] Re: What kind of load can Chef Server support?

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: What kind of load can Chef Server support?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:59:18 +0530

do you really need 200 nodes to communicate with chef server at the same time? You can run chef-client as an hourly cron job and use the last octet % 60  of servers ip as the minute value in your crontab. Our chef server handles similar load with 2GB ram /1 vcpu, with couchdb/rabbitmq/solr all running on the same box. You need to do regular couchdb compaction to keep the disk usage low. We had few pain points with solr , but never really any scalability issue.

for more : http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Scalability+and+High+Availability

regards
ranjib