[chef] How to manage Windows nodes from OS X while keeping an encrypted connection?

  • From: Thibaut Barrère < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] How to manage Windows nodes from OS X while keeping an encrypted connection?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 20:13:12 +0100

Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone here managed to handle Windows nodes from an OS X workstation, without going "unencrypted"?

For some background, I've been following the instructions here and I'm able to use knife to reach the Windows node, as long as I use unencrypted traffic (basic authentication + no encryption both set to true).

However if I go back to the secure defaults (AllowUnencrypted="false" and Basic="false"), the connection fails with an error 401.

I suspect this may be caused by a WinRM issue on OS X but I'm not completely sure of that.

I thought it would work as this precise use case is mentioned on the docs.

So: did anyone manage to connect securely from OS X to Windows with Chef?

thanks for any hint!

-- Thibaut

  • [chef] How to manage Windows nodes from OS X while keeping an encrypted connection?, Thibaut Barrère, 02/02/2012