[chef] Re: Client/Server secure model

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Client/Server secure model
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 16:18:22 +0530

Chef uses https for client server communication. Every chef client (nodes, users who operate /manage chef) uses their own private key. The registration of clients are done via admin clients or validation client (a special client that can only register non-admin clients). Communication between chef server and client never happens in an insecure manner, while other integration points (like rabitmq to chef server or solr to chef server) are secured via firewalls and tool specific authentication (like vhosts and user credentials for rabbitmq).
That said, you can also create custom public key /private key pair and hook in them to chef server to authenticate your clients/servers against chef server.

Chef is developed after puppet, there is very little chance that chef will miss some obvious and important feature that puppet has.

regards
ranjib