[chef] writing sane cross-distro sysv init scripts with lsb/init-functions, possible?

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] writing sane cross-distro sysv init scripts with lsb/init-functions, possible?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:30:36 +0100

I have written a system v init script for Apache Tomcat using functions /lib/lsb/init-functions. Theoretically this same init script should work on Ubuntu as well, provided I swap out /etc/sysconfig/tomcat for /etc/default/tomcat

Anybody know of any potential pitfalls of this approach? I imagine it is well-trod ground.

Does lsb/init-functions require 'redhat-lsb' be installed on all EL vms? and similarly does it come by default in Debian or require an additional package?

http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/LSB_4.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptfunc.html