[chef] Re: Re: Rails deployment scenarios - capistrano vs application cookbook

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Rails deployment scenarios - capistrano vs application cookbook
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:48:26 +0530

i have worked on several rails project , and used chef deploy resource for deployment and mcollective to do realtime orchestration

On Feb 13, 2012 11:14 PM, "Max Gorbul" < "> > wrote:
We have chef-client running every 30 minutes. But sometimes deployment need to be executed earlier then in 30 minutes. So we use chef/capistrano deployment.
basically cap deploy:setup and some configuration which depends on the infrastructure (database, redis etc.) are deployed and managed by chef. The code itself is deployed from git repo by capistrano. There is a deployer host which holds all the projects and user who is able to run cap deploy form there in order to deploy to prod env (regular developers do not have access to prod).
There is a monitor running which checks repo changes or CI successful builds every minute and triggers deployment job as soon as one of those changes happens.

--max