[chef] windows and the sql_server cookbook

  • From: Sascha Bates < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] windows and the sql_server cookbook
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:09:09 -0600

Has anyone had any success with the sql_server cookbook on Windows Server 2008r2?

Issues I'm having:

Running on ec2 WinServer 2008r2 32 bit, chef-solo with the node.save commented out:

line numbers are missing from error messages
[Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:34:35 +0000] INFO: Processing remote_directory[c:/chef/handlers] action create (chef_handler::default line /chef/cache/cookbooks/chef_handler/recipes/default.rb)

sql_server not indicating that it's missing dependencies.
I missed adding the chef_handler cookbook as the sql_server recipe didn't error on missing deps.  It just ran until I got to the next error which was a failure to restart the MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS service because the service didn't exist.

I have been unable to determine why the service isn't created - all the blocks prior to the restart notification complete successfully.

At this point I turned to my hosted chef to see if it was just chef-solo that hated me.
Running against hosted chef is where I discovered I was missing the chef_handler cookbook because the uploads to the cookbook repo errored at me.

In this setup, I bootstrapped an ec2 VM with the following command:
knife bootstrap windows winrm <host> -r 'role[sql]' -x Administrator
and it failed with the known uid bug (chef-2633)

Which leads me to ask the questions:
Has anyone succeeded with a sql_server cookbook install and when is 10.10 going to be released so I can get past the uid bug?  Is there anything I'm missing?

Sascha