[chef] Re: "yum install xxxx" or "apt-get install xxxx" analogy for chef?

  • From: Akzhan Abdulin < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: "yum install xxxx" or "apt-get install xxxx" analogy for chef?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:29:12 +0400

Oops. You are right. chef-client -j is very unattractive option.

2012/2/21 Akzhan Abdulin < "> >
Simply add to your recipe

package "os-package-name"

2012/1/16 Tom < " target="_blank"> >

Hi,

For our developer boxes, typically the users won't know chef, and won't have a locally configured knife, and these guys would be used to installing tomcat or some package using the distro specific tool (apt/yum/emerge).

However for a bunch of packages/services we have chef recipes specifically to get tomcat6 or others onto CentOS 5.6 boxes e.g. recipe[tomcat::tomcat6]

Obviously its possible to create a /etc/chef/tomcat.json file and run it as chef-client -j /etc/chef/tomcat.json such as
{  "run_list" : ["recipe[tomcat::tomcat6]"]  }

Or even to open "shef -z" session and apply the recipe interactively. Or even to run knife as the chef-client user with the client.pem and client.rb file...

However I am looking for something that can be easily applied as a one-liner... does such a thing exist as a plugin for chef-client?

chef-client -r "recipe[somecookbook::somerecipe]" would be perfect... ;-)

Thanks
Tom