[chef] Re: Re: power shell and chef

  • From: Sascha Bates < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: power shell and chef
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:39:12 -0600

Thanks, this helps.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Madhurranjan Mohaan < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Some samples with the "windows_batch" resources:

 not_if { Registry.key_exists?('HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\<your registry entry> ') }
 not_if { File.exists?("C:\\etc\\<something.txt>") }

I had problems with the Services bit , but with powershell you can get it to work using a Here Doc to get over a quotes within quotes problem . Eg, when you have to check for databases in sql server using "EXEC sp_databases" , you might have to add this in a here doc and use that in your only_if or not_if . What doesn't work is not_if " sqlcmd -S Localhost "Exec sp_databases" | grep <instance name> " but using the here doc in here would work well.

Also with powershell , in the not_if or only_if , you'll have to use "powershell.exe" -- for eg , not_if "powershell.exe <your command>" but a normal windows command line would work well.

Hope that helps.