[chef] Re: Having a problem with HA Chef

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Having a problem with HA Chef
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:28:39 +0530

couchdb versions are same? you should not have client management problems, as the public keys for individual client is stored inside couch only.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:13 AM, < "> > wrote:
Hello everyone,

Although Chef is working fine on a single server I'm having some difficulty
making an "HA" chef (per this support page:
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Scalability+and+High+Availability)

Platform / Version info: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS / Chef 0.10.8

* Have 2 chef servers: chef2, chef3

* chef2 has a number of cookbooks, roles, data_bags, etc already working & I
just want to mirror this onto chef3

* We have local HA NFS cluster  so wanted to use that instead of DRDB to share
CouchDB, SOLR, and so forth

I mounted these directories NFS on chef3 from chef2 as I figured this would
make them almost identical...

/var/lib/couchdb
/var/lib/chef
/var/cache/chef
/var/chef

Problems / Questions

* I must be missing something because the nodes, cookbooks, data_bags, etc on
chef2 are not present on chef3 and I rather thought they would be...

* I realize because the servers are different I'll have client management
problems after a failover since the /etc/ directories are different, but if I
make them the same chef3 has authentication problems with itself because it's
key is chef2' (so chef server and chef-server-webui have startup problems)

* What should I be doing differently to make chef3 mirror chef2?

Any help is appreciated as HA chef seems fairly manual at mo.

Thanks List!