[chef] WinRM cannot connect

  • From: "Soula, William" < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] WinRM cannot connect
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:19:52 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

I’ve started using chef so I apologize if this is the wrong mailing list for my questions or if what I am trying to do is unsupported.  I’m trying to setup a windows server 2003 R2 machine and then connect to it through knife and winrm.  I ran winrm quickconfig –q on the server and at first was getting an error about not enough end points or something about end points.  Then I figured out that the windows firewall had to be turned on for the quickconfig to work.  So I turned this on and now the server is setup for remote management.  But when I try to connect to it and run ipconfig I get an error:

ERROR: Network Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. - connect(2)

The command I am running is:

knife winrm [server] ipconfig -m -x [localadmin] -P [password]

localadmin exists on the server as a local administrator

Can anyone help me or is it a winRM problem and I should ask on a different mailing list, or is it a knife problem that should be asked on a different mailing list?

Thanks,

Will