[chef] ohai, number ldap accounts

  • From: "Van Fossan,Randy" < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] ohai, number ldap accounts
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:10:30 -0400

Fellow chef’s,

I have a question about ldap accounts that ohai pulls down.   We are a large shop with thousands of servers and we have a large number of ldap accounts (only a few are currently managed by chef).    As per the issue in OHAI-165, I believe it may be affecting performance on our chef server.

One solution proffered is to place Ohai::Config[:disabled_plugins] = [ "passwd" ] in the client config to disable this.   However, if we do this, won’t the ldap accounts be unavailable in resources?   Meaning, If I assign the ownership of a file to an ldap account in a file resource, won’t that cause a failure.   This since chef will not know anything about that account..

file “/tmp/myfile” do

  owner  “ldapacct1”

  group  “ldapgroup1”

  mode "0600"

end

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/OHAI-165

Anyone have any guidance on this issue?   I would like to keep all the ldap info out of ohai, but still be able to use ldap accounts in a resource.

Thanks

  Randy