[chef] Ruby version support in cookbook metadata

  • From: Anthony Goddard < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Ruby version support in cookbook metadata
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 20:13:49 -0400

Hey Chefs,
I'm sure much of the community is split between ruby 1.8.7 and 1.9.* still, and as time goes on the chance of cookbooks appearing with 1.9 only syntax only increases. I guess the current method of declaring this rests either in checks within the cookbooks themselves, or in cookbook comments on the community site (http://community.opscode.com/cookbooks/metachef/comments).

What do you guys think of adding a "supported ruby" attribute in cookbook metadata? Perhaps with 'supported' and 'unsupported' values for version (then anything undeclared would be 'untested')? Something like that anyway, and then it could be displayed on the community site.

http://community.opscode.com/ideas/26

Ant

---
Anthony Goddard