[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to keep your .json files?

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to keep your <node>.json files?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 07:41:38 +0200

Am 23.04.2012 19:49 schrieb "Bryan McLellan" < "> >:

> 2012/4/23 Torben Knerr < "> >:
> > @AJ: how do you keep track of modifications to nodes, e.g. who added a new
> > role or cookbook? Does Chef Server keep track of that?
> >
> > I was thinking that infrastructure-as-code wise one would keep the nodes in
> > source control as well, as I would do for databags (and I see good reasons
> > for doing that). Is this just a matter of taste or did I miss something?
>
> The best-practice-goal is for nodes to be more of a commodity and not
> have anything unique about them beyond their run_list. Data should be
> stored elsewhere, which saves you the trouble of 1) backing up nodes
> and 2) sifting through nodes for their unique data.

Never thought about backups this way, but it's totally neat that you need to backup only the data stores, not any app servers or the like anymore... :-)

But what about attribute overrides on node level? Is that something that we should rather avoid and better do any cookbook configuration on a role level instead?

> The Chef Server doesn't keep an audit trail, but Opscode expects to
> ship some features in Chef 11 that would be useful here.

Interested to hear more if you can tell already.