[chef] How to freeze the cookbook based upon the chef environment?

  • From: Edward Sargisson < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] How to freeze the cookbook based upon the chef environment?
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:28:08 -0700

Increment the version in your wip cookbook and set the version in your wip environment to match. Prod won't see the changes until you set it's version.

Sent from my iPhone
Hi Chef fellas!

On my chef-server, I've a rails app running in chef's production env.

Now I want to tweak and test the configuration of the unicorn in the chef environment in a separate instance.

When the chef-client of the production node runs, it checks in the WIP cookbook/recipes and try to apply. Since the tweaks is not finalized, it might break the running production app.

So, how can I freeze the cookbook/recipe just for the node/chef production environment only??

@millisami
~ Sachin Sagar Rai
Ruby on Rails Developer
http://tfm.com.np